F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 23:21:03 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:
> Is this current kernel problem acceptable? Of course not. But this is
> Rawhide isn't it?

You are aware this was an F8 kernel in question, and not rawhide, right?  I'm
100% in favor of breakage occurring to rawhide systems, and I've been using
rawhide and testing for years, but more caution is required for the releases.

That said, I still think if the kernel fixed significant bugs, and just causes
some users to 'be forced' to boot from a prior kernel.. thats a fairly minor
issue whether it was a regression or not.  I would argue that learning what a
grub menu is, and how to boot a prior kernel if something breaks, is a barrier
to entry for a Linux user and should be considered as such.

I would never dream of installing linux on a person's computer and NOT telling
them what that boot menu is doing.