F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 10:29:17 UTC 2008

* Debarshi Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> [20080310 10:24]:
> > Then why are you installing them?  If this kernel was known to break things,
> >  then when it hits updates don't install it... not rocket science.
>
> How many end-users knew this? Was this announced publicly where
> end-users, not developers or testers, could notice this?

It is a delicate balance, weighing up stability versus always having
the latest packages. To be honest, I thought Fedora would be a middle
ground between the "extremes" of CentOS (stable, should not break) and
something like Gentoo or Rawhide (half your system never works
correctly because you're always running the development version or the
latest Alpha of everything).

This kernel update seems to be due to a foot planted deeply into the
"new version at all costs" territory, damn stability and damn what
users may think. I've rolled back to previous kernel.

I believe occurances like this dents peoples belief in Fedora as a
viable alternative. A *release* is not quite suitable for development
experimentation, that's what Rawhide is for, and no amount of excuses
and "it's not rocket surgery" comments will ever change that.

If Fedora has the principle of "we don't care what users think, we'll
break their systems whenever we like because we care more about
having a higher version number on something than some other
distribution, than doing some proper QA" - perhaps that should be
clearly stated so that end users have a chance of avoiding Fedora
completely.

If I wanted to run Rawhide, I would select it conciously. Pushing
known broken packages as updates in a *release* is showing real
contempt for your userbase.

/Anders