default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Benjamin Kreuter ben.kreuter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 13:48:24 UTC 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008 09:33:12 Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Those users could read the Installation Guide, which talks about this
> exact situation and how to set up partitions that make sense.  I don't
> think it's unreasonable to expect that new users who are going to
> install should read the document that tells them how to do it.  There's
> not a lot we can do for people who won't read.

As much as I hate to say it, I have to side with Valent on this one.  It does
make sense to have the default layout create a separate / and /home partition
layout, especially in LVM where these can be resized later.  I can't really
take a guess at what the ratio should be, but 10-20GB for / would suffice for
the default install (20 seems excessive, but there is no real way to tell).

Perhaps we could create a new option, like "Recommended layout for desktops,"
that uses a reasonable estimate of what the partition layout should be.  If a
user wants to change that, they can (and they can always "review and modify"
the partition layout), and they can always resize later if they need to.  New
users are often unsure of what the partition layout is, and unfortunately,
they often fail to read the install guide.

Or perhaps we could just throw in an easy to read, unambiguous message on the
download page, to the effect of, "New users, read this before installing."

-- Benjamin Kreuter

--
Message sent on: Mon Mar 10 09:41:31 EDT 2008