wicd - better wireless network manager than NetworkManager?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Mar 10 14:03:57 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:

> I tested wich [wicd?] and it works great!
> I really hope that NM gets this kind of configuration options that
> wicd has! You can really easy choose all options, be it dhcp, static
> IP, wep & wpa encryption, different profiles if you roam with your
> laptop a lot on wired connection... in one word - excellent!
>
> I really would like to see NM get these features and if not then that
> fedora devels check this app and maybe even include it by default in
> F10 if NM turns out to be not moving forward fast enough.

Sorry to be a damp squib,
but I would be more interested in reliability than extra features.
Many programs - particularly WiFi programs -
work well in one setup and don't work at all in another.

Also, are there many people
"roaming with a laptop a lot on wired connection"?
In my experience, very few SysAdmins allow random people
to plug their laptops into their ethernet LAN.

Personally, I want a WiFi program that works with all WiFi devices,
and which tells me exactly what is wrong if it is not connecting.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366