default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:35:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
>  desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

My wife has 10+ gigs of just digital photos, and its just vacation
pictures.  And she's pretty much the epitome of a "desktop" user.

I know "desktop users" with small children and digital cameras who
blow through 20 gigs of space in personal photos in under 6 months.
And then once you get into digital video you blow through 100's of
gigs of personal home movies in mere weeks.  All of this activity has
become pretty common "home desktop" activity, for certain people.

I think your concept of "desktop usage" is extremely myopic and
doesn't take into account the explosion of personal data that is being
driven by personal digital media.  I'm not even talking about crap
like retail entertainment media that people purchase or steal.  I'm
talking strictly about digital media that "home users" are creating
with the digital devices and then organizing and editting on their
"home desktop" computers which isn't meant for public sharing.

-jef