default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:43:53 UTC 2008

2008/3/10 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 15:56 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  > 2008/3/10 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
>  > > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:19 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  > >  > 2008/3/10 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
>  > >  > > On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 13:34 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>  > >  > >  > Is that on purpose and if it why?
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  Guessing how much space you'll need in your non /home partitions over
>  > >  > >  time is difficult.  Only you know how your install will be used.  That's
>  > >  > >  why the installer defaults to the easiest thing to guess;  How much boot
>  > >  > >  space you'll need, and how much swap space.  However since you know how
>  > >  > >  your install is going to be used, you are best to make those estimations
>  > >  > >  and setup your /home as you want it.
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  --
>  > >  > >  Jesse Keating
>  > >  > >  Fedora -- All my bits are free, are yours?
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
>  > >  > desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
>  > >  > Servers, and other fedora usages may need some other partition schemes
>  > >  > but a default home user has huge benefits from a dedicated /home
>  > >  > partition.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > It is probable that new users aren't aware that /home partition as a
>  > >  > dedicated partition has advantages and it would be best if anaconda
>  > >  > makes the "smart" partition scheme in which /home is a separate
>  > >  > partition in LVM volume, or a logical partition. Separate home has
>  > >  > lots of advantages that you are aware of, so why not just change the
>  > >  > partition scheme to take advantage of that?
>  > >
>  > >  Those users could read the Installation Guide, which talks about this
>  > >  exact situation and how to set up partitions that make sense.  I don't
>  > >  think it's unreasonable to expect that new users who are going to
>  > >  install should read the document that tells them how to do it.  There's
>  > >  not a lot we can do for people who won't read.
>  >
>  > Where on the Live CD can I see the Installation Guide?
>
>  Putting the IG on the Live Image isn't a good answer.  Carrying all the
>  languages we'd need to make that a good solution would knock other stuff
>  off the already cramped space.  However, we should link to the IG from
>  the site where the Live Image is downloaded.  People can download a copy
>  to read offsite, or read it off the Web.  I've already made a note on my
>  draft for the new download workflow, at
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/Drafts/NewGetFedora .  And of
>  course, whether we link or provide it directly probably doesn't impact
>  whether people actually *read* it.

Lots of people get Fedora via CD handed to them or they download it
from some flat-rate high-speed connection and bring home where they
don't have any connection (or their laptop's wireless isn't working
without copyrighted firmware) so they can't read it if it is not
physically on CD/DVD medium. Just keep that in ming before anybody
says thinks like "There's not a lot we can do for people who won't
read."

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/