default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 22:45:33 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Valent Turkovic
>>  <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >  Fedora Live CD target audience are desktop users, right? I as a
>>  >  desktop user haven't seen any need for / partiton over 8-10 GB.
>>
>>  HAHAHAHAHAHA!
>
> You didn't understan me. 8GB for / and the rest of hard drive in /home
> partition.
> Now your wife has all the space she needs... is it now more clear?
>
> And how much does your wife has in / if you don't take in account /home folder?
>
>>  My wife has 10+ gigs of just digital photos, and its just vacation
>>  pictures.  And she's pretty much the epitome of a "desktop" user.
>>
>>  I know "desktop users" with small children and digital cameras who
>>  blow through 20 gigs of space in personal photos in under 6 months.
>>  And then once you get into digital video you blow through 100's of
>>  gigs of personal home movies in mere weeks.  All of this activity has
>>  become pretty common "home desktop" activity, for certain people.
>>
>>  I think your concept of "desktop usage" is extremely myopic and
>>  doesn't take into account the explosion of personal data that is being
>>  driven by personal digital media.  I'm not even talking about crap
>>  like retail entertainment media that people purchase or steal.  I'm
>>  talking strictly about digital media that "home users" are creating
>>  with the digital devices and then organizing and editting on their
>>  "home desktop" computers which isn't meant for public sharing.
>>
>>  -jef
>>

> I believe you didn't understand my initial post.
> I said one partitoin for / and one for /home so there is space for
> user data as long as they have big hard drives :)
>
> Valent.

What about a separate /usr, or a separate /var?  These can both be quite
beneficial, but when you start carving up the disk behind the user's
back, you're practically guaranteed to get it wrong much of the time.

Providing better recommended configurations for novice users is a great
idea that I completely support, but I will knife anyone who tries to
make this default behavior in Anaconda, because it will screw up a whole
bunch of things for me and many other people.

-- Chris