default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:51:21 UTC 2008

Felix Miata wrote:

>>> I would go way beyond that. Don't users install additional applications?
>>> I have more than 30GB of applications installed, though I will admit
>>> that is probably far from typical. I think for under 80GB of space, it
>>> should be a single partition. Over that, if you are going to go for this
>>> crazy scheme ;), make / at least 20G.
>
>> I'd split at around 40G, with 20 for /.
>
> 20G is about 5 times the max usage of any of my 50 or so / partitions.

If you installed more software on one box, maybe you wouldn't need so
many of them...

 > I don't think average users with separate homes need even 10G for /,
and the
> rest of the users know what they need and will custom partition regardless of
> any default proposal.

I think it's the other way around.  The people who know exactly what
they plan to run will know how to size partitions themselves.  The ones
who don't know need to try everything out - and it is going to be
difficult to expand / if you start too small.

  Maybe add a 4th level with 80G+ disks given 20G for /.

I wouldn't default to less than 20 under any circumstance - but the
point where you would start to separate /home is pretty much arbitrary.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com