default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 15:16:56 UTC 2008

Brendan Conoboy wrote:

>> Also there are some have found a solution to that with "maintainance"
>> mode to chich you boot into... and that ideas are also being refined
>> in this thread.
>
> Ok, here's an idea: Don't format / when you reinstall.  There's a number
> of ways you can do this:
>
> 1) Use the upgrade option.

Is that supported?

> 2) Have anaconda selectively rm -rf, leaving directories like /home,
> /var/lib/xen and so forth alone.

That could be a reasonable option.

> 3) Use LVM/Ext3 resizing to salvage /home when doing the format.
>
> 4) Have a backup system that you can restore from.

A backup isn't really a backup if it becomes your only copy as you erase
the real thing.

>> I agree that there are technical challenges to overcome and my vote is
>> always to try to overcome then than to leave them unresolved.
>
> Adding another partition will create social and technical challenges-
> more than it solves.

Is there any historical evidence for this?  Surely there have been
unix-like systems that have defaulted to a different partitioning scheme
before.  And certainly some that performed version upgrades without
reformatting.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com