default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 22:14:37 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Benny Amorsen wrote:
>>
>>> What about a separate /usr, or a separate /var?  These can both be
>>> quite beneficial,
>>
>> What are the benefits of separate /usr and /var? I can think of two:
>> 1) one partition getting full doesn't affect the rest of the system
>> 2) hard links aren't possible across partitions
>>
>> Are there others? Disk quota could help with 1), and is 2) really a
>> great benefit on the desktop?
>
> The big one is that when you reinstall (which every fedora user should
> have done 8 times already with no end in sight), you can tell the
> installer not to format your /home partition and keep your own data.

That is hardly necessary every single release.  Upgrades *are* officially
supported from release to release; its the people playing with rawhide that
really should be reinstalling constantly.

With Linux a user should not be running into an "I need to reinstall" situation
very often... and if they are panicing and doing it when its not needed (the
argument that they are used to this from windows) then the bigger problem here
is that the recovery and repair tools available to those novice users are VERY
meager.

I am hopeful that will improve soon.  The talk of a better rescue mode (ala
FirstAidKit) looks great.  The big picture issue here is we need to keep users
from needing to reinstall their OS.