Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Mar 12 11:29:45 UTC 2008

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>  * Ban unicode in package names (no draft submitted)
>   * Not accepted

Oops...
The example of such an unicode name used is "écolier-fonts" .

Then consider any user in non-latin1 locale. For example, my locale is
Russian. I have no "é" on my keyboard...

Well, I can use cut and paste, when I have a mouse and the text is
already shown on my desktop.
But what I have to do, when use just the cmdline interface? IOW, without
any GUI -- just the Linux console, or remote ssh session? How can I fill
the "é" character then?

It seems that the only way to operate with such a filename is to use
shell wildcards: "rpm -qa \?colier-fonts"  etc.

Does it mean, that the command line interface as well as any other
non-GUI core applications are now deprecated? ;)

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy