Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Mar 12 13:57:40 UTC 2008

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mer 12 mars 2008 12:29, Dmitry Butskoy a écrit :
>
>> Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>>
>>>  * Ban unicode in package names (no draft submitted)
>>>   * Not accepted
>>>

>> Oops...
>> The example of such an unicode name used is "écolier-fonts" .
>>
>> Then consider any user in non-latin1 locale. For example, my locale is
>> Russian. I have no "é" on my keyboard...
>>

> An ascii-only alias is provided in the spec file

You mean "Provides: foobar" ?

I mean I cannot operate with such a filename (with foreign sumbols) in
my local copy of the Fedora repository. As well as a sysadmin of the
primary Fedora sites cannot operate with such filenames, when people
from "another World" (non Latin1 only) start to add their native-named
packages into the common Fedora repo.

(Surely if you are not going to deprecate all non-latin language for
this usage of unicode).

I prefer "Provides(de): foobar" etc., as for "Summary" or
"%description". Maybe even:

> Name: foobar
> Name(de): foobar
> Name(ru): фубар

but the RPM filename should be named by the primary "C locale" name.

IMO all ideas here should follow the spirit of gettext(3) (LANG,
LC_MESSAGES, etc.etc.etc)

~buc