Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Mar 12 15:44:31 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:29 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>
>> Then consider any user in non-latin1 locale. For example, my locale is
>> Russian. I have no "é" on my keyboard...
>>
>> Well, I can use cut and paste, when I have a mouse and the text is
>> already shown on my desktop.
>> But what I have to do, when use just the cmdline interface? IOW, without
>> any GUI -- just the Linux console, or remote ssh session? How can I fill
>> the "é" character then?
>>

> You use the compose key like most the world has been using for a long
> time.
>
> System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Keyboard -> Layout -> Layout
> Options -> Compose Key Position.

But I have no "Compose Key Position", as well as no "Layout Options", no
"Layout", no "Keyboard", no "Hardware", no "Preference", and no
"System".  Guess why?

I am at the Linux console in a server room, and have no any GUI
interface at all. Or I am in the ssh client throw my slow phone line,
and am trying to operate on a file by some coreutils' utilities. And so
one...

When some guys will add to Fedora some Japanese- Russian- Greek- etc.
-named packages,  what you have to do with them? Switch each time
between some virtual keyboards? But if your server has no any GUI? Or
you want to cause users always add pure GUI to ANY machine?

~buc

--
		Буцкой Д.К. <buc at citadel.stu.neva.ru>
		РАО ЕЭС, ОДУ Северо-Запада, Санкт-Петербург