Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:00:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:53:28 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:

> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Has anyone checked whether the many sites that mirror Fedora packages
> > can even handle unicode / non-7-bit-ASCII names correctly?
> >

> It is better to check the primary sites first (as well as the primary
> sysadmins ;) )
>
> What about such unicode names (try to work with them from the cmdline
> shell):
>
> nothing-1.0-1.rpm
> ничто-1.0-1.rpm
> τιποτα δεν-1.0-1.rpm
> 没有什么东西-1.0-1.rpm

For the last two, the glyphs don't display correctly at all in a virtual
console. Not in Emacs either. In Emacs (and likely due to an incomplete
font), the last line gives a box for the 4th character.

A blocker-criterion in my point of view.

Having to find and set a proper font before being able to display the
proper glyphs used in [RPM] filenames, reduces usability too much. It
feels a lot like those bad books, where the translator also translated the
names of system commands, reserved identifiers, or header names, for example.