kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason...

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Mar 13 17:02:46 UTC 2008

Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:11 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>>> Hence logic says that something that is being change between kernels
>>> are causing this otherwise the kernel would ALWAYS being reporting
>>> this...
>>>
>> Unlikely - hardware problems are often dependant on alignment of objects
>> and other chance happenings. If you've got bad RAM and the faulty bits happen
>> to land in a location where the faulty bits don't show a fault (its often
>> combination based) you'll see exactly what is described.
>>

>>> If anyone can tell me how I can *debug* it further
>>> I'm all ears..
>>>
>> memtest86 full night run is what I usually start with for such cases.
>>

> I've seen this problem on a Dell Insprion 6000 as well, its definitely a
> machine problem as opposed to a bad RAM case... I've never tracked down
> what triggers it though... it may be heat related ...
>
> Dave.

Sorry about late responce it takes time running these tests...
Have done basic motherboard tests everything "passed"....
Have done cpu test ( cpu burn-in ) running time 7hours+ without errors
Have run Memtest86+ for eleven hours now without errors.

Dave not a bad guess, thats it's head related ( matches some of the HP
models reports as well )
and if it's heat related  it's very easy to debug it :)
Simply put the laptop on any soft fabric ( since the heat is getting
blown out
at the bottom of the laptop it's air vent gets blocked hence all the
head is circulating inside
the laptop  ( I guess you already know this since you own one of the
masterly engineered laptops)
See if the kernel reports it, let the machine cool down and check if the
kernel is still reporting it.

Dave it would be nice if you could confirm it's heat or not heat related
along with me.
( And possible everyone that owns a masterly engineered laptops such as
this or HP models )
If it's heat related I think all bug reports about this can be closed or
at least the bug
reporter can be asked of "make and model and running heat" when the
kernel reports this.
If we can not confirm that it's heat related could you Alan C. take some
of look at this
problem?

Best regards
                  Johann B.