Fedora sound nightmare (Pulseaudio)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Mar 13 21:43:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 13.03.08 11:02, Dimi Paun (dimi at lattica.com) wrote:

Hi!

> I am an old time Linux user & hacker, been using Linux
> since 1996. It's now 2008, we're about to release F9,
> and sound is still a big mess. This is not about filing

Yes, it is a big mess. I am being payed for fixing this. And I am
working on it.

> Cause: pulseaudio refuses to make use of the built-in (Intel)
> sound card. And I can't figure out how to force it!

Please provide me with the output of of "pulseaudio -vv"

This sounds a lot like that you have some remaining alsa config lines
in /etc/modprobe.conf which assigns a fixed ALSA sound card index to
your internal soundcard, while your USB card gets a dynamically
one. Now, since the driver initialization order is not determenistic
these days, sometimes your USB driver might initialize before the
internal sound card driver. And picks the first available index. Which
coincidentally is the same index the internal driver was configured
to -- and when it loads it cannot get that idea.

If my guess is true, than this is totally unrelated to PA, it's a ALSA
config issue.

To fix it, just remove all audio related lines from
/etc/modprobe.conf. In the lates Fedora release those lines should not
be written anymore.

Lennart