Fedora sound nightmare (Pulseaudio)

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 23:25:53 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 17:11 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 18:29 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > Audacious on the other hand, behaves like this:
> > >   * if output is set to ALSA:default, it will go to my headphones
> > >   * if output is set to PulseAudio, it will stutter like crazy
> >
> > That might just be Audacious' plugin sucking as well. Tried with
> > something like Totem or Rhythmbox that uses the (well-tested)
> > GStreamer plugin from PA upstream?
>
> Yes, I do. In fact, in desperation I've installed anything pulse
> I could find out there:
> [root at dimi ~]# yum list '*pulse*'
> Installed Packages
> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i386             1.0.15-2.fc8           installed
> pulseaudio.i386                          0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-core-libs.i386                0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-esound-compat.i386            0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-libs.i386                     0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-libs-glib2.i386               0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf.i386            0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-module-bluetooth.i386         0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-module-gconf.i386             0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-module-jack.i386              0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-module-lirc.i386              0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-module-x11.i386               0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-module-zeroconf.i386          0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
> pulseaudio-utils.i386                    0.9.8-5.fc8            installed
>
> But as I explained, the gstreamer plugin for PA would just
> output the sound to my USB headphones, not the system speakers.

Even after what I mentioned in 2) ?

> > >   * if output is set to ALSA:hw:1,0 it will go to the system
> > speakers
> >
> > 1) Is the ALSA Pulseaudio plugin installed?
>
> Yes, see above.
>
> > 2) Did you try selecting another default output in pavucontrol?
> > (output devices->right-click, select the default, yes the UI sucks)
>
> Funny enough, I didn't know where to get it. It wasn't installed on
> my system, I installed anything and everything I could find with
> 'pulse' in name, no luck.
>
> Google, etc, now I discovered that it's in a package called pavucontrol.
> Really nice name. How could mere mortals figure this one out? The naming
> leaves a lot to be desired...

You could also just install it, file a bugzilla saying that it should be
installed by default, and drop the sarcasm.

> > 3) Did you try running pulseaudio by itself on the command-line to see
> > whether it prints out any errors?
> >
> > That last one seems like the first thing you should have done before
> > blaming PulseAudio...
>
> Maybe, but hacking pulseaudio on the command line is not something
> that pops into my mind, I'll admit.

If running applications on the command-line counts as hacking, then
there's a lot of apps I hacked on.

I see a lot of ill will, and not much closure. Does it work now, or not?