Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Mar 14 16:58:30 UTC 2008

Le Ven 14 mars 2008 17:05, Michael Schwendt a écrit :

>> > The rpm file name is at the frontier. It is displayed to the user
>> by
>> > the installer, by package tools, and it may need to be input at
>> the
>> > command-line or in graphical apps.
>>
>> Nope. You intentionally keep confusing the [...]
>
> I disagree, and I see we don't discuss the same things.
> Perhaps you're on a mission.

No more than you are.

> I don't care about what names people give their software, whether
> they design shiny logos with glyphs that are unknown to me.
>
> I don't care if they don't publish any web pages and documentation
> in a language I don't understand. If they don't want to be
> multi-lingual, that's not my problem.
>
> I don't care whether there is a software package in the Fedora
> repository
> that uses only languages I don't understand, provided that it is not
> in a default install or otherwise tied into the system.

Very reasonable so far.

> What I do care about is that the Linux distribution is not subverted
> with languages and glyphs I don't understand or can't display. I also
> very much care about the project language that is used on the primary
> mailing-lists, for example.

Here you take a massive leap into paranoïa land. Most what-if horror
cases advanced in this thread already occurred, and the distribution
was not subverted, the project primary language didn't change, in fact
it was all so little invasive it wasn't noticed at all.

So I don't follow you. The evidence seems to be we cope with UTF-8 &
non-English pretty well.

>> > A policy can be revisited/refined, because non-ASCII glyphs in
>> file
>> > names
>> > are a problem in a default setup that doesn't display them
>> correctly
>> > and
>> > that requires extra efforts to enter them.
>>
>> These are bugs to be fixed.
>
> So, the system is not ready yet, which is a blocker criterion as I
> pointed out before.

The system is never ready. This is IT. There are problems, they get
fixed, and we don't wait for the perfect system before ack-ing a
roadmap.

>> ago.
>> >
>> > That's still only due to its Star Office history, isn't it?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> That's due to the fact Fedora is a *distribution*, built from [...]
>
> When Star Division developed the closed-source Star Office, Fedora
> did not even exist.

So? We ship a lot of stuff developped before Fedora existed. And not
only in historic packages. And I've not such an inflated view of
Fedora to believe Fedora existing or not would have changed the
slightest bit in the situation.

--
Nicolas Mailhot