Fedora sound tips

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 15 14:13:57 UTC 2008

Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Recipe of fully working Linux audio system:
>
> * Disable selinux
> * Disable *all* useless audio-related crap like arts/esound/pulseaudio
neither are required.
I've never seen an issue in a fedora's 3-8 in relation to sound on my
PC's. I might not update daily, but more than weekly for sure, and mp3,
flac, wav, dvb-mpg, dvd etc have continued to work. I'd be less sure
about my nvidia cards s-video output, which I do have trouble with.

> and so on (ALSA is good and mature solution for mixing audio streams).
I can't think of any manual thing that I needed to do with PA for that
to work; in fact I was pleasantly surprised it does work, whereas the
previous alsa based way didn't {on my hardware}.

> * Unmute all channels and set appropriate volume levels to 100%
Many modern sound cards digital attenuators actually have gain as well.
To avoid distorting digitized sound that uses the full digital scale,
you may need to limit the wave input fader to 80, 70 {for mine} or even
50%. There are pulse audio settings that I think can limit / scale the
volume slider to only set the chips attenuator to unity gain.

> * Plug you computer to every cheap sound amplifier (Kenwood KAF-1030
> in my case, costs ~150$) equipped with good loudspeaker (very
> important part of any good audio setup).

> Enjoy of total audio control with remote control or with comfortable
> handle on amp!
Don't forget the Marantz serial RS232 controlled surround/multiroom amps
with heaps of inputs - and build some control of its switching and level
control into an app for linux [*]

DaveT.

[*] to be started!