Marking files in /etc/cron.* as %config

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 10:57:35 UTC 2008

In the awstats package we have a cron.hourly script which updates
statistics. It's currently (intentionally on the part of the Fedora
maintainer Aurelien) marked as %config(noreplace), on the basis that users
expect to be able to edit these scripts and don't expect RPMs to clobber
them. I noticed today that rpmlint complains about this:

awstats.noarch: E: executable-marked-as-config-file /etc/cron.hourly/awstats

I had a look in the guidelines and couldn't see anything explicit about
this case. I can see the arguments both ways. Personally I generally leave
RPM-installed /etc/cron.* scripts alone where I can, and install my own
ones if I want to do something different. However I can see that not
everyone would do that. Additionally, there is the complication that (as
with awstats) people might not like the default functionality (e.g. they
might want to update their stats every day, not every hour).

One way of solving this would be to do it in a similar way to how we do
init scripts e.g. have /etc/sysconfig/awstats with:

UPDATEFREQ=hourly|daily|none

and have the default-installed cron.* scripts act accordingly.

Alternatively, clamav drops a crontab file into /etc/cron.d which in turn
calls an update script. Since this is not an executable, rpmlint won't
complain.

Any comments? I think we should cover this in the guidelines.

Thanks

Tim