Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Mon Mar 17 13:14:50 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote, at 03/17/2008 10:01 PM +9:00:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 06:05:45PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> 2.	In some cultural contexts transliteration of personal names (if they
>>> end up in package titles) is considered rude.
>> I consider forcing users to learn to type Chinese, Thai, French
>> (arbitrary examples) charsets just to be able to install a package to be
>> utterly rude.
>
> How about English fonts - why are those different ? You seem to have a very
> inconsistent attitude. As for typing that is a complete red herring. We have
> gui tools for a reason and pango is happy doing pointy-clicky things with
> other locales.
>
> Alan

You must think of CUI.
On CUI even displaying Kanji characters on it (ctrl-alt-F1) is very hard.
On Fedora AFAIK only two components can do this, jfbterm (maintained by me)
and bogl-bterm. And I don't know the way to type Kanji on CUI although I am
a Japanese... (of course I don't remember the UTF-8 code map. Even a 15-year-old
child have to learn ~2000 Kanji characters).

Well, IMO making rpm have Kanji character is a disaster...

Regards,
Mamoru