Fedora 9 Beta, PackageKit and system-config-printer

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 17:37:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 17:15 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 13:09 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> >  As much as I like PK for solving some problems, do we really need to
> > have the Fedora build system depend on it? I can't imagine that writing
> > the above directly using yum APIs would be that much work, no?
>
> Ohh, you don't need to use PK on koji. If koji could spit out a
> directory of .desktop files after they have been built

 Ok, I assumed this was roughly what pk-import-desktop did ... but I
can't find that in git HEAD for PK (where is it, what does that do?).
 So we need to write some yum/koji/whatever code which removes all
the .desktop files from the rpms and does something with it?

> then I can just
> slurp them in at PK build time and give everything pretty icons and
> localized descriptions, and even prompt to install the right thing for
> an unknown extension.
>
> In my dream fantasy world there would be a directory:
>
> fedoraproject.org/random/offline-desktop/gnome-screensaver/gnome-screensaver.desktop
>
> I could just slurp in this directory and then do some magic stuff.

 You want to put every single .desktop file in each PackageKit release?
What about new releases that change the .desktop file, what about new
pkgs to the repo, what about new translations?
 Also we really want the MD data to give the user a clue about which of
several application providers they want to install (forcing this layer
to deal with multiple providers the way yum is forced to is a
_really_bad_ idea), this implies more MD than just the list of .desktop
files.

 Not to mention that this would basically make it a PackageKit only
feature.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat