evolution-exchange fails again in F8

nodata lsof at nodata.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 18:12:16 UTC 2008

Am Montag, den 17.03.2008, 17:25 +0100 schrieb Valent Turkovic:
> Hi,
> I use fedora 6 for my primary desktop at work and also I have 2 test
> laptops that I run latest versions of Fedora 8 and Rawhide...
>
> For me and my work Evolution is a mission critical app :) Because I
> can't see my email without it, obviously.
>
> Now evolution-exchange is broken again for me on Fedora 8! :( I use
> Fedora 6 because I can't move from it because F7 an F8 have issues and
> bugs that aren't on evolution-exhange in FC6.
>
> I'm not writing this about those bugs and I'm not providing links
> because they are in BZ for a long time.
>
> I'm looking for a way how can I work with Fedora teams so that
> evoultion-exchange doesn't get pushed if it breaks working features
> (as it has been happening in last 2 years as I have noticed).
>
> I'm volunteering to test evolution-exchange packages before they go
> out and give evolution maintainers a heads up it new version would
> break stuff.
>
> Can you please point me in the right direction.
>
> ps. good news is that I see rawhide version of evolution-exchange
> works as good as FC6 one! Finally! F7 and F8 are unusable for my work
> and probably others that use exchange as mail server.
>
> Valent.
>
> --
> http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
> linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
> registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
> ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Evolution works fine for me, but I don't use Exchange with it any more.

I was told that the reason for the absolute and complete breakage with
Exchange from Evolution is that there is no proper maintainer for
Evolution and that everybody wished it wasn't the standard e-mail app.

Besides, I suppose the "correct" approach for Exchange<->mail client
integration, besides using pop3/imap(?) is to have an Exchange proxy
that sits between the two.

But I expect there are good reasons for not having that.