Java packages, guidelines, ...

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Mar 18 02:40:26 UTC 2008

KM> The version and versionless .jar files are mandated by the Java
KM> packaging guidelines draft.

Looks like we need those guidelines after all.

KM> As far as I am concerned GCJ is a slow, obsolete java compiler /
KM> environment, and shouldn't be used anymore.

Except that's not actually true on all platforms.  However, after some
discussion between various Java-knowledgeable folks I believe the
final decision was that GCJ support should be encouraged but not
mandated.  Of course, if you don't include it you should probably
anticipate one of the platform maintainers adding support to your
package if it becomes an issue.

KM> PPC and x86 alike have icedtea/openjdk in rawhide, which is FOSS
KM> and performs much better than GCJ.

Are you sure about that?  What about SPARC, ARM, Alpha, etc?  Some of
these do not have properly functional openjdk support.

 - J<