Status of xD card driver/support in kernel ( Was Kernel + Driver + MMC/SD )

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Mar 18 17:46:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 19:43 +0000, Johann B. Gudmundsson wrote:
> Does anybody know the status of xD card driver/support in kernel
> ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card )

USB card readers appear to the kernel as standard mass storage devices,
in this case the kernel needs no specific support for xD.

xD is nothing more than a repackaged SmartMedia, that is, it's pretty
much just a raw NAND flash chip.

> Just my luck that it did not work out of the box...
> ( have 10x2GiB Olympus xD cards )

Being derived from SmartMedia, xD inherited short-sighted addressing
limitations. 2gb cards are an extended "M" or "H" type, which does not
work on older xD devices. And given xD's somewhat obscure and
proprietary nature, newer xD card readers may not have bothered
licensing or reverse engineering the new format. I suspect most of them
support xD purely by virtue of its similarity to SmartMedia. I bought a
multi-card reader to use with my xD camera, and the xD card actually
plugs in to the SmartMedia slot, it was designed to fit either of them.
I only have a single 128mb card so I can't tell you if it supports M or
H cards... (And I can't seem to find the reader right now either, so I
can't give the model...)