Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Mar 19 15:42:37 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 15:28 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>

>> Please, type Ctrl-Alt-F1 . Then login and work a little. Perhaps it will
>> help to understand better...
>>

> I just tried it.  It seems pretty primitive!  Where are the tabs?  How
> do I search the command output? I can't right click on processes to kill
> them?  How come it doesn't have an nice history browser?  I seem to have
> to wait after every command I run unless I add some weird '&'
> character?

Probably you will find me as an idiot, but I actually use the Linux
console in my professional life.

Sure, I use Internet, Mail, Office etc. using Gnome Desktop.
But for some tasks it is more convenient for me to use TUI (vi, mc, even
lynx) instead of GUI. Perhaps because I started at 1992 when good GUI
was yet not present...

Actually, I cannot forget TUI/CLI anyway. I still work sometimes by slow
phone lines (ppp), by a mobile communicator, or at the dumb terminal
connected to com port of a server. Sometimes I have a graphical monitor,
but it is too old to see good GUI on it. Etc...

Besides that, I prefer to know that anything what I do manually, I can
script in a shell. What about GUI?..

~buc