Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Mar 19 16:20:04 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> GUI doesn't mean !shell.  gnome-terminal for example, it's a terminal
> emulator, you get a CLI.   You can full screen it too so it's "like" a
> VT, but you gain all the extra fun of showing the gliphs correctly and
> being able to use things like a char map or the compose key.

Well, but I have the compose key working at Linux console too. Moreover,
I tune both the desktop and the console to switch between keyboard
languages similar way.

Hence I actually can work with unicode filenames on the Linux console,
and actually I work with them! But they are MY NATIVE language names (or
just ASCII names, or mixed). The same for gnome-terminal.

I am against the situation when I have to work with "non-ascii &&
non-my-language" unicode characters, independent whether I use Linux
console or GUI terminal emulator.

~buc

--
		Буцкой Д.К. <buc at citadel.stu.neva.ru>
		РАО ЕЭС, ОДУ Северо-Запада, Санкт-Петербург