kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sun Mar 23 02:38:58 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I've stripped non-Free firmware bits from Fedora kernels for F8 and
>  rawhide, starting from tools developed by the gNewSense folks and now
>  in use by BLAG developers, and built alternate kernels that I've
>  successfully booted up and used on my x86_64 notebook.

I think the Fedora CVS tree should not be canonical upstream for
projects.  If you want to create a fork of something, add a new
project to fedorahosted.org, code.google.com, launchpad.net, your
personal server, whatever.

If you structure your fork as a revision-controlled tree, not only can
you easily merge with upstream, if upstream decides to merge with you
(which is what you want, right?) it's easier than trying to extract
stuff from our CVS repository.