Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Mar 23 22:14:42 UTC 2008

>>>>> "pk" == pavel khardikov  writes:

pk> Hi, Thorsten!  I'm interested in the GSoC Package WebUI project
pk> idea.

pk> I am well acquainted with the basic principles and methods of
pk> working with repoview and pkgdb.  I have a desire to make a site
pk> that provides information on all packages and has convenient tools
pk> for searching, grouping, resolving dependencies, etc...  I
pk> consider that the best variant for development of the new
pk> application is the use or improvement repoview or pkgdb.

pk> I think that http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and
pk> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages are very convenient and
pk> functional tools.

pk> I have a good experience in user interface design and development
pk> of web applications: -- scripting languages: perl, python, php and
pk> the popular frameworks for them, like Catalyst, Django and
pk> ZendFramework -- XML, HTML / XHTML, CSS, semantic and
pk> cross-browser making-up -- graphic tools

pk> What is the main criteria for application?

pk> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas

It seems that the WebUI overlaps considerably with the "MyFedora" idea
which has already been started:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MyFedora

perhaps there should be a link on the GSOC ideas page to MyFedora and
vice-versa.