Suggestion Next Release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 01:36:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:

> All I heard up to this point are complicated/unreasonable/unfeasible
> solutions for newbies for a problem that we created and it's easy to
> fix. Wouldn't it be a lot more reasonable to give people by default what
> they are used to, and let power-users flip a switch?

I assure you WE didnt create the 2nd mouse button.. it has existed
historically for decades now. WE just make use of it, because its there to
be made use of. I've worked on vms and unix system well before windows
3.1was available where the 2nd mouse button was as useful as the
left-most
button.  If you can't use your scroll-wheel and the middle button equally
effectively.. then you have a piece of junk mouse and you should demand your
money back. It's a basic design flaw in the hardware, no worse than buying a
car and finding out that the break and the accelerator are the same pedal
and being told that if you have to touch it in different ways to get the car
to either go faster or to stop.  That being said, I use my 2nd button on my
scroll wheel mouse just fine.
.
How about we just assume that all pointing devices have a single button and
nothing else, one big button....with no double-clicking either.  I know some
apple mice that are real close to this.  You code software assuming that,
and you should work around pretty much any physical device design flaws.
And such software should pretty much work for the most common
denominator...exposing all functionality by requiring the use of keyboard
and mouse to expose additional functionality.   And in the case of the
functionality which started this gripefest, you have that very solution at
hand... middle click is exposed via the shift key as previously explained.

-jef