kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Mar 24 14:01:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:35 +0100, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> I do not understand this..

That's probably because you misunderstood this:
> On one hand there is the militant "everything is either black or
> white" attitude, akin to "You're either with us, or against us".

I don't think I've seen anyone exhibit that attitude -- not even Alex,
who wanted to ship a _new_ kernel rather than making his changes to the
normal one. If you were expecting to see that, but saw instead people
being pragmatic, then I can see how you'd be confused.

Personally, I don't really care very much about whether we ship firmware
in the kernel. On balance I think it's not really in compliance with the
GPL, but it's been that way for a long time and if I cared _that_ much
about it, I've be working on removing it myself. If Alex wants to look
at it, that's great -- but as I said, I'd rather he did it properly
rather than just stripping out functionality. That's not really
particularly interesting for Fedora.

--
dwmw2