yum & slow internet

James Antill james at fedoraproject.com
Mon Mar 24 15:44:12 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 10:01 -0500, Diego Escobar wrote:

> Hi
>
> Yum in Fedora 8 is working slowly getting repodata and solving
> dependencies. But Paul W. Frields tolds that we will have a better
> yum... 2x 3x faster and less used memory.

 Note that yum can't make the network faster[1], although it will do
it's local operations faster in newer versions (yum also has no control
over how long rpm takes).

[...]

> Finally a comment: I was looking for a option as "download updates
> automaticaly and notify to install", somebody told me about a plugin
> for yum but I never found it. I don´t know if it will go on Fedora 9
> but is a util option.

 You probably want "do_update = no" in /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf but
"do_download = yes" and "do_download_deps = yes".

[1] But you can change your metadata_expire to be higher (although then
you'll probably want to change your mdpolicy to group:all, in newer
versions).

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.com>
Fedora