yum & slow internet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:23:08 UTC 2008

Sunil Ghai wrote:

> As Diego Escobar has mentioned, many people around the world have slow
> internet connection.  How about having a feature (possibly in kernel
> itself) to make updates using _idle_ bandwidth only? By idle I mean
> which is currently not being used and is free.

If you have more than one system on your network, how can your kernel
possibly know what is free?

> This would also keep
> responsiveness in other network applications. We can use current traffic
> control tools like tc to implement this.

The traffic is mostly coming the other direction.  You can deliberately
slow down the ack's to slow it down but you can't really tell how much
is appropriate.

> This might take some extra time and in no way making the network faster
> but user would be able to keep the system updated in best possible way
> on slow internet connection.

You don't need to update continuously. I think a better approach is to
explicitly download at a time you are taking a break from other
activity.  Go get some coffee, have lunch, etc. and come back with the
download part completed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com