kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 18:29:53 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva (aoliva at redhat.com) said:
> > Are you asking for a separate kernel-libre component be made part of the
> > fedora repository?
>
> Yep.  The idea is to have a kernel that people could use to create
> 100% Free spins of Fedora, while still calling it Fedora.

Then please work upstream (with linux-kernel, and the Fedora kernel
maintainers) to pull the firmware into 'standard' packages that use
the firmware loader, so we can actually:

- provide a sane interface to our users (well, as sane as the firmware
- provide a sane updating and maintenance interface for our developers

Maintaining this as a separate kernel is 100% the *wrong* way to do this.

Bill