Improving speed of transactions

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 17:13:08 UTC 2008

On 25/03/2008, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The .desktop files are freezing my system everytime they are
>  installed...
>
>  Slow or fast computer - doesn't matter...

That's always been my experience (and things like icons and .desktop
files are far less likely to be vitally important to the running of
other scriptlets than libraries).

>  I mentioned icon cache with GTK_UPDATE_ICON_CACHE.

Sorry, yes, I managed to not actually notice that first time around :-$

That seems to be a much bigger hog (and kbuildsycoca, too alas). There
seems to have been a big improvement in the performance of adding or
removing gconf schemas over the years, luckily, that's another
timewaster.

>  BTW, what do you think about such solution, I described?

I'd like to see something like your description (logrotate has a
similar concept with its "sharedscripts" flag when an application
(possibly) handles many files e.g /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog).

This is (unsurprisingly) one of those things that is brought up
occasionally and usually we're all too afraid of the consequences of
getting it wrong to change anything :o) plus tbh, it's hard to think
of a good syntax for it.