kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 20:11:58 UTC 2008

On Mar 25, 2008, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 02:18:01PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> > And neglecting to remove plenty of other firmware.
>> Examples are welcome.

> I gave one below..

Not part of the kernel AFAIK, which makes it irrelevant for this
kernel-libre project.  But it is indeed a problem, I don't deny it.

>> And people don't take it up to Intel that they shipped a defective
>> product?

> I challenge you to find a single microprocessor that has ever shipped
> without errata.

Point being?  How does this ethically justify Intel's denying its
customers the ability to make independent changes and fixes to the
microprocessors they purchased from Intel?

>> Or are you volunteering to take over these efforts? :-)

> Are you volunteering to prefilter all the incoming kernel bugs
> to triage the bugs affected by your alternative ?

I have no idea of the workload involved.