system-config-soundcard: why?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Mar 25 21:24:59 UTC 2008

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Dnia 25-03-2008, wto o godzinie 22:09 +0100, Hans de Goede pisze:
>> Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>>> Does firstboot call s-c-soundcard? I didn't see it, when I was
>>> installing Fedora 8 (yesterday).
>>>
>>> It can only do harm...
>>>
>>> Esp. for my sound card with no options for modules supplied. My card
>>> needs ac97_quirk=2 and dxs_support=2 to get rid of "ear harm" when
>>> playing some sound(s).
>>>
>> Please report this to the alsa project, they should be able to teach the driver
>> to recognize your motherboard and set these options automatically.
>
> You think so?

I'm pretty sure that they (the alsa project) can and will add automatic setting
of quirks for known troublesome motherboards. So this definetely is something
to report, that way you will not only be helping yourself for future installs,
but also all other owners of the same motherboard who use Linux!

> And same should I do with my bttv driver?

Not sure about that one, AFAIK it tries to autodetect most stuff too, reporting
misdetections surely can't harm, but I guess you need some params for your
tuner or something like that and the interface to that is i2c which makes
autodetect somewhat troublesome. Still you can always try reporting, subscribe
here: