system-config-soundcard: why?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Mar 25 22:01:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, 25.03.08 17:52, Jesse Keating (jkeating at redhat.com) wrote:

> > > Why do we need this at all?  Is it time for a block-pkg ?
> >
> > Well, I could argue why do we need csh, or 20 IRC clients, or apps written
> > in Motif/lesstif, or applets that check for new mail by parsing a RSS feed
> > in perl (with passwords written to the local disk, yay), and a variety of
> > things that I'm sure other people have a need for. Doesn't necessarily mean
> > they should be *blocked*, just not in the default install.
>
> Yes, but if system-config-soundcard isn't actually solving any issues,
> are we just maintaining it out of anger?  At some point we really need
> to ask, what is the point of having this software?  Has it outlived it's
> usefulness?  We can orphan it and see if somebody wants to pick it up,
> but we can ask them the same thing, why?

I am all for orphaning/removing/killing it now. A lot of bugs have
been reported against PA which were actually /etc/modprobe.conf
fuckups due to s-c-s. Even as a test program it is not particularly
useful. It is obsoleted by all the udev hotplug fancyness. AFAICS
there's not a single feature of it left that is not obsolete or even
counterproductive.

Lennart