system-config-soundcard: why?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 22:17:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well, I could argue why do we need csh, or 20 IRC clients, or apps written
> in Motif/lesstif, or applets that check for new mail by parsing a RSS feed
> in perl (with passwords written to the local disk, yay), and a variety of
> things that I'm sure other people have a need for. Doesn't necessarily
> mean
> they should be *blocked*, just not in the default install.

I think the heritage of the s-c-* tools make them a different breed of
application and its appropriate to consider dropping them from the repo when
they no longer expose useful configuration functionality.  If we can't
identify a need for a particular s-c-* tool then perhaps its a good idea to
let it die until a clear need is expressed.

In the case of s-c-soundcard we know the underlying infrastructure has been
changing, we know the main point of the tool has been obsoleted by these
ongoing developments. At some point it has to be okay with taking a tool out
of service and enshrining it in the Fedora Air and Space Museum instead of
continuing to try to use it and watch it repeatedly explode on take-off
because its got unrepairable large cracks in its fuselage.

-jef