Updates using idle bandwidth

Tomasz Torcz tomek at crocom.com.pl
Wed Mar 26 08:46:00 UTC 2008

Dnia 25-03-2008, wto o godzinie 12:14 -0700, Andrew Farris pisze:
> Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>  > Module tcp_lp.ko will be autoloaded by kernel. So this setsockopt() call
>  > is ready to be put into yum-updatesd, just after socket creation.
>
> A good question then is how do you set congestion level off and not get the
> kernel module loaded (if its not needed you wouldn't want it loading just to
> have it do nothing).  Does setting TCP_CONGESTION = 0 result in not loading the
> module or does it just not limit traffic?

  That's not how it works. TCP has mechanisms for dealing with congested
links. There is *always* some algorithm present in TCP stack which
manipulates connection parameters to not overflow links. By default its
reno (or cubic), but Linux kernel provides several others to *choose*
from. This isn't a question of turning limiting ON or OFF.

 Anyway, after some more reading I see that TCP Low Priority is
sender-side algorithm. I don not know if sending ACKs is impacted by
congestion algorithms, and this is only thing for client to modify.

--
Tomasz Torcz