Dreaming about cooperation with upstream [Was: Re: Upstream error reporting]

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 09:32:12 UTC 2008

On 2008-03-25, 18:21 GMT, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> Well, we already have some information about several upstream
> bugzillas (let's keep this simple for the moment and ignore
> trac, sourceforge e.a.  bug trackers). In theory it should
> simply be a case of asking "Please <link>create a bugzilla
> ticket upstream</link>. If you don't have an account at
> $upstream_bugzilla, <link>register here</link>." Clicking on
> the first link would drop the user into a pre-filled form that
> automatically Cc's the Fedora maintainer etc. We could store
> the identities at other Bugzillas with the user's account to
> make it even smoother. Or maybe something like OpenID can be
> used for that.

The advantage of my scenario is that our reporters don't need to
make yet another useless account in some bugzilla
(http://uselessaccount.com/). I had a lot of complaints from our
reporters about that -- "I have reported this already, why you
guys are so much talking about cooperation, and you are not able
to resolve it among yourself." I know there are some reasons, but
considering that bug reporters are our most valuable asset (which
I believe firmly) we should try most to treat them well.

Remember, we are not making them any favor that they have to file
a bug against the software we have provided them.

Especially considering that there ARE possible scenarios how to
do it -- and the rest is (IMHO, IAAL, IANAP, etc.) just not that
complicated coding.

Matej