Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Mar 26 18:32:59 UTC 2008

On 24.03.2008 17:46, Pavel Khardikov wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis writes:
>>>>>>>>
>>> [...]
>>> pk> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas
>>> It seems that the WebUI overlaps considerably with the "MyFedora" idea
>>> which has already been started:
>> Yeah, MyFedora was still young (or even not born yet) when I added the
>> idea to the wiki. I don't know much about MyFedora, but afaics it could
>> need help as well and might be a good GSoC project.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> It is a great pity :(
>
> If I understood there is no reason to start doing Package WebUI from the
> very begining because
> MyFedora project is aimed at solving the same problems.

I'm can not properly answer this question. J5 (the MyFedora develop)
likely can do that better.

>From what I can see on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MyFedora
it seems to me that developers are the main target audience of MyFedora.
Only the second screenshot indicates that MyFedora might provide
something like packages.debian.org (which also provides a good service
for users)

> In what way the idea of Package WebUI can be relate to GSoC?
>
> As far as I can see the idea of WebInstall is similar?
> Is WebInstall project still relevant to GSoC or MyFedora will cope with
> its functions?

I'd suggest you contact J5, the developer of MyFedora. Maybe he can help
to answer the question if a separate WebUI makes sense (which I doubt).

Cu
knurd