system-config-soundcard: why?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Mar 26 20:13:31 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta writes:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs at clemson.edu> wrote:
>
> > I do find it a handy way to generate a repeated sound to test whether
> > there's been any progress on getting my Thinkpad volume control buttons
> > working (there hasn't, at least in F8), but (a) you might think that's a
> > counterproductive use 8^) and (b) I'm not advocating keeping it just for
> > that.

I like:

aplay my.favorite.wav

for this task--and I'm also waiting for the Thinkpad enhancement.
Haven't checked with F-9 yet.

> can't you test that with the  System->Prefs->Hardware->Sound
> tone tests?

We really need something more friendly than that steady state sine wave for
this test sound.  We also need more understandable device designations,
imho. It's just not very consumer friendly as it stands.

It's nice having the capibility to direct audio by application class,
but I'd still like more control, myself. I'd like to be able to direct
audio application byh application--I have four audio devices on one
system and three on another--but I still have no finite control of what
device my Orca plus Espeak will use. I make great use of these kinds of
arguments in the cli, and I'm frustrated when apps (like timidity) don't
support specific direction.

Janina