Re: GDM slow (was: Re: Compositor in GDM)

Hey,

2008/3/26 Jesse Keating <jkeating redhat com>:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 15:55 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>  >
>  > On the other hand, it should be faster to log into the full desktop,
>  > because GDM is now paging in much more of the desktop libraries and
>  > daemon code.
>
>  If only that were true.  I still have to stare at a blank screen for a
>  good amount of time, and then a half working desktop as panel applets
>  struggle to start up.  Time from start of login screen to actual usable
>  desktop is still pretty terrible.

I've added a profiling framework to both GDM and gnome-settings-daemon.

You can see some results here:
http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/g-s-d/startup/

There seems to be a really nasty delay in the initialization of the
volume mixer in gstreamer for some reason... among a few other things.

Jon