few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 22:04:48 UTC 2008

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Dnia 26-03-2008, śro o godzinie 22:31 +0100, Benny Amorsen pisze:
>> "Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> compared to the difficulty of making use of things like route as a user...
>>> what is the difficulty of editting the .bash_profile manually to extend
>>> the path?
>> It isn't really practical when you have several servers. Yet another
>> setting which needs to be applied on install (in kickstart) and
>> checked after upgrades.
>>
>> Easier to just su - and run the commands.
>
> "su -" requires password.
>
> [HERETIC]
>
> With sudo you can omit password, by an option.
>
> [/HERETIC]

Or you could let the first-added user run sudo commands with his own
password instead of having a usable root password as seems fashionable
these days.  I hated that the first time I encountered it, but you just
have to get used to typing 'sudo su -' when you want to stay root for a
while.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com