Suggestion Next Release

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Mar 27 06:27:36 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul <at> gmail.com> writes:
> No.  Apple has offered options, one of which maintains the prior behavior of
> Apple OS 6.x to 9 (spatial browsing)

But that's what it is: backwards compatibility, not the default anymore.

> I have the theory they decided not to make spatial browsing the default
> because they wanted to make sure everyone learns multi-pane tree structure
> browsing... one of their innovations in UI (i.e. look how cool this is).

Because that system actually makes sense, which is why Dolphin in KDE 4
supports this.

Dolphin also makes it easy to switch between Icons (browser mode with icons and
thumbnails), Details (browser mode with a list view showing file dates and
attributes) and Columns (what you call "multi-pane tree structure") modes
through a single click in the toolbar. In KDE 4.1, the traditional tree view
will also be available.

> But if they are going to claim the change is going backwards I'd like to see
> more than personal preference in the rhetoric.

The reason we claim spatial mode is a step backwards is that both M$ and Apple
have used something very similar in the past and both moved away from it.

That said, I personally don't really care about what Nautilus defaults to, I
use KDE anyway. ;-)

        Kevin Kofler