inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Mar 27 14:07:33 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
> Initially, we added a quick hack that read /etc/inittab solely to determine
> the default runlevel. Based on a bug I filed (#432384), we changed that so
> that the key for runlevel 3 vs. runlevel 5 is GRAPHICAL in /etc/sysconfig/init,
> and we'e planning to just remove the inittab file to make things more obvious.
>
> I'm open to better ideas, though - should we ship a trimmed inittab that
> contains *only* the initdefault line? Should we introduce a new configuration
> flag somewhere else? Does it really matter in the long run?

If upstart doesn't read it, I'd say don't try to have a hack that has
something else parse it and configure upstart.  However, /etc/inittab is
a long-time configuration file for Unix-like systems, so it would be
good to have an /etc/inittab that contains comments that point to the
new location for the configuration options (e.g. default runlevel,
console terminal configuration, etc.).

You could have a big "### THIS FILE IS OBSOLETE ###" at the top, and
anaconda, etc. could key off that line (and/or whether the file has any
non-comment lines in it).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>