inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Thu Mar 27 14:09:29 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> With the switch to upstart, we obviated the need for /etc/inittab (upstart
> does not need it, nor read it.)
>
> Initially, we added a quick hack that read /etc/inittab solely to determine
> the default runlevel. Based on a bug I filed (#432384), we changed that so
> that the key for runlevel 3 vs. runlevel 5 is GRAPHICAL in /etc/sysconfig/init,
> and we'e planning to just remove the inittab file to make things more obvious.

I suggested on fedora-test-list to just rename it to inittab.rpmsave
because there might be customizations in that file that the admin wants to
preserve/adopt. Appending ".rpmsave" has the following benefits:

1) It makes clear that this file is not interpreted by the tools that would
usually use the original version of that file.
2) It's still there so any special information in that file can be
preserved by the admin.
3) ".rpmsave" is a known postfix for stale/outdated files after an update
so any tools or scripts the admin uses to deal with them will do the right
thing(tm).

Regards,
   Dennis