inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Mar 27 14:28:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Bill Nottingham <notting <at> redhat.com> writes:
>  > I'm open to better ideas, though - should we ship a trimmed inittab that
>  > contains *only* the initdefault line? Should we introduce a new configuration
>  > flag somewhere else? Does it really matter in the long run?
>
>  I think the hack to parse inittab for initdefault is a better solution because
>  it's backwards-compatible. What do we gain from inventing a new file with a new
>  setting when we can just use the existing one?

Because people might think that you could continue to use inittab for
other purposes.

IMHO, inittab should be read by the upstart %pre script to configure
whether GDM is started and maybe some other settings but otherwise it
should be ignored.  If we're going to go whole-hog with upstart we
should be working on eliminating the notion of runlevels anyway.

Jeff