inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Thu Mar 27 15:35:27 UTC 2008

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora at camperquake.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>

>>  On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:56:40 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>
>>  > I'm open to better ideas, though - should we ship a trimmed inittab
>>  > that contains *only* the initdefault line? Should we introduce a new
>>  > configuration flag somewhere else? Does it really matter in the long
>>  > run?
>>
>>  At the very least leave an inittab file that contains a note that it
>>  is not used anymore. Much better than having to find out the new
>>  structure on your own.
>>

> Dear god yes.. and we will probably still have every sysadmin, book,
> and out-of-fedora package that places stuff in /etc/inittab for serial
> ports, etc yell every 2 seconds on fedora-list at redhat.com, etc that
> Fedora-9 borked their setup.

+1, it is an issue... Most often people switch to another distro in such
cases :(

Whether it is possible to save /etc/inittab, as an additional "legacy"
config file? Perhaps it could be fine to have some special "service"
under upstart, which read the /etc/inittab (if present) and perform all
the tasks which are still defined in the old sysv way...

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy